30 May 2007

Contagious creepies

Today started out as a pretty ordinary day. It was Kiara's second day back in school and my mother brought her. I slept in and managed to not wake up until 9.30. In the meantime, my mother made her way to the head office of Kiara's day care. She had requested them for a transfer to Kiara's former department as she has not managed to settle into the new location. Last year our children were tranferred to a new location because the day care had made a deal with the Hilversum municipality to offer care at locations closest to the schools. Kiara therefore had to give up a safe haven. We filed a complaint but the board did not grant our wish (alongside similar wishes of another 6 or 7 families). Kiara has not been happy in the new place and with me this ill I did not feel comfortable sending her there. So basically I have been paying 685 euro's each month and still keeping her at home. My mother's request was finally granted after many phone calls and 5 weeks of diplomatic headache. Kiara gets to go back to Marimba temporarily.


This was beautiful news for the little one which we celebrated by going out for poffertjes (mini pancakes, a Dutch delicacy) in Laren. Aldith also paid a short visit. Afterwards I took Kiara and Bo to their Capoeira lesson. I felt well enough to hang around there for a bit and also took a small walk as my back was more painful this morning. Moving about sometimes helps boost everything back in place. It did! My mother made us dinner and when I brought Kiara to bed her fears and sadness poured out. It appears that she is confused about contagiousness, the radio active Iodine and the cancer being made up of cells. Why is it that you can not catch cancer from someone who has it? How do you explain that to a seven year old? She did not want to kiss me, used the blanket as a sheild and I could tell that she did not like me stroking her face. Eventually I asked my neice to go upstairs to talk to her. This is so very painful, but also understandable.
Apparantly all they did was hug. Kiara went to sleep and I am following shortly.

"When I come back home after the 10 days of Iodine treatment, I want to stand across the road and watch another kid stand next to you before I have to" -Kiara, earlier this week

No comments: