24 May 2007

HRQoL


The modern topic of Quality of Life is certainly not overrated. This term applies to rural safety matters, politics and health. Understanding quality of life is today particularly important in health care, where monetary measures do not readily apply. (Health Related Quality of Life HRQoL). Rather than looking at cost effectiveness in terms of curing, modern medicine is focussing more and more on aspects concerning QoL. Decisions on what research or treatments to invest the most in are closely related to their effect on a patient's quality of life. (Read more on this in the link).

I am very happy about these new developments as living the life of a cancer patient has taught me how important it is to enjoy. Enjoying in the sense of feeling fit and having no pain. But also enjoying in the sense of feeling accepted, being touched, enjoying the beauty of music and art and having the freedom of being mobile and putting oneself in desirable locations. This gift should really be appreciated much more and I am certain that if people focus on these aspects of life, World Peace will be closer at hand.

So why am I ranting on about this issue? Well, yesterday I had a really good day! I got out of my bed easily and without too much pain. Shortly after, Kiara came home from her sleep over. She and Bo gave me a little show which made me smile and applaud. Later when Bo left, Kiara and I had a rest in bed and snuggled up together. In the afternoon when Kiara had left to Paula (and I was sure she was having a good time), Willemijn, my co-worker came to see me. We decide to go into town which is one of those Earthly acts I do not get round to anymore. Willemijn is great and relaxing company. We had an Ice-tea at the Smidse and then did a little shopping. Our mission was to actually buy something nice that afternoon. Both of us bought some items of clothing and I bought a hand cream to counter-act my new nervous tic (scratching the palms of my hands). Feeling happy and satisfied we made our way back home. To my suprise we had been out for 2 hours and walked around for at least an hour without me being totally exhausted or in pain. This realisation kicked in with a blast! How great it is to be alive. We ordered in dinner and my afternoon was complete!

Burgundians have the right idea. All I can say is: "Stop fussing about money, things you (or you feel others) MUST do and materialism. Just live and enjoy"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lieve Aisha, Ik kan maar een ding zeggen : alle respect voor hoe je het doet!
Je weblog is mooi om te lezen, niet makkelijk, ook dat. Ik bedoel niet de taal waarin je schrijft, maar de materie. Ik blijf je volgen, lieve groet,
Anne Muller