25 May 2007

The back bone's connected to the...back bone

Today I am going to the Orthopedic surgeon for an intake. He will be assesing my back injury and deciding what to do about it. The fracture looks somewhat like the picture but the crack is in the rear rather than in the front.







my own back

To heal the bone I have started medication called Bonviva (which means a good life). They should sue pharmaceutical companies that dare to name their medicines as such. Actually I think I will send them a letter being the typical pain in the ass that I can be. I think they should name it Osdura (strong bones) instead.
When my endocrinologist asked me if taking the tablets (a strong acid) went alright...I told him it did but that I have a major problem with the name. He agreed!
Anyway the Osdura is supposed to allow my bones to repair faster. Bones are living tissue that keep making new tissue to replace old tissue. In other words...they repair themselves...but the Osdura should help my body to do this faster. It is a pill that is taken mostly by menopausal women with osteoporosis. (Bone decay). In addition they want to perform an open back surgery to fill up the vertebrae with a cement-like substance (check out the link about back repairs -Kyphoplasty-) and to put in a metal strip to hold it in place. This is an operation which they want to perform mid June as they have strong concerns about me making a wrong move and becoming paralysed from the back downwards.
I have strong reserves about this issue as I feel that I need to recuperate a little more before I go back for such a big operation. (Speaking of QoL)!
I will see if I can coax Dr. Van Dijk from the VUmc in Amsterdam( a new addition to my dream team) to partake in this dangerous postponement. After all, I have been managing with a broken back since february 17, so what's another month?

No comments: