12 May 2007

Op prep


Thyroidectomy: Tuesday 15 May. 9.00 o'clock at the VUmc. I will recover at the "kortverblijf" department.
Departure: Friday 18 May. ______________________
I like to think of this past week and the next 3 as the toughest weeks I will have to go through. The pain, the anticipation and the uncertainty are at their height now. After the Iodine treatment all of these feelings should gradually subside. I am expected at the VUmc at 9.00 am on tuesday 15 May. They will prepare me for the operation and before the morning is over my thyroid gland will have been removed. I am to stay in the hospital until next friday. Once I am home I will have a nurse twice a day to tend to me. Jacqueline took charge of the organisation including renting my hospital bed and toilet chair etc.
Kiara is spending the week with my parents next week. It seems like a cozy idea to me...the three of them in my house.
Preparations for the hospital have started at home too. I have tended to my administration, I have tried to tidy up as much as possible and I have started to pack my bag. Evelyn, I don't expect you ever thought the silk nightgown was to be worn in the hospital?! Well, it seems like it the most practical item of clothing as the material breathes, I covers me up, but it is still a smooth material which will allow me to move around the bed more. Jocelyn, the golden nightgown will do great as a substitute. For my house I have made sure all my towels and sheets are washed, and an extra bottle of handsoap has been purchased.
Last week my brother Melvin helped me install my new DVD player with Dolby Surround. This way I can listen to all the music I want!
Kiara's summer holidays have been payed for... she will be going to adventure summer camp, twice. I had to find a good alternative for Jamaica because I could not bear to see her upset about that.
Today, my parents are testing sofa's in Zevenaar so I can order a new one
(which won't break my back) by phone. As you can tell, the way I spend my money has significantly changed. Some luxury goods have become necessities and a real priority. Thank goodness for this years tax return!
Then last but not least: I have arranged for transportation through my dear friend Marcus's cab company. This way I won't have to be driving to and from the hospital myself. Last Friday I experienced this facility...I would recommend it to everyone to let them be chauffeured around by someone they love. It is really quiet a wonderful experience!

No comments: