03 May 2007

Da Bomb



Yesterday I went to the VU hospital in Amsterdam for my 2nd opinion. Thanks to my network I was allowed to be seen by Doctor Gerritsen, the successor of the famous Doctor Pinedo. After 1,5 hours of questions and check-ups and a partial lab result. I heard the most terrible news. The cancer type that I have belongs to one of the gland sorts.

Therefore, my cancer could be breast, lung, stomache, intestine, pancreas, thyroid or fatgland. Fact is that I have an agressive type of cancer in an advanced stage. The prognosis was not too good as the doctor clearly spoke of prolonging my life, rather than curing the disease.

This morning I went through hell. I cried and cried and cried. And spoke to my wonderful friend Jacqueline about matters of life and after-life. A visit to my coach Sabine Overtoom had already been scheduled and gave me something to hold on to. My session of about 2 hours was very healing. When I arrived home Doctor Luykx had called. She had asked me to call back. I told my mother that this would be my verdict. She could not believe I would hear it on the phone. I was sure I would as I have an agreement that I want all information as soon as possible.

My cancer is cancer of the Thyroid. Meaning that even though it is a case of prolonging life...the prolongation can be thought of in decennia.

I will have my thyroid removed...and radioactive iodine treatment will follow. Much to everyone's relief...the chemotherapy is out of the way.

Receiving radioactive Iodine therapy means hospitalization (3 to 4 days) after each treatment, where they will put me in quarantine to prevent affecting others (namely Kiara) with my radiation.

Please consult the links on this blog for more information. I will write more tomorrow.

A funny little detail.....if I am to go anywhere by plane in the period of my treatment....security will be on to me in no time, as my radioactiveness will make them suspicious of me smuggling nuclear weapons. Airports have detectors for radioactivity. I am finally well and truely: Da Bomb!

No comments: