13 June 2007

Quarantine chamber - Part III

Expecting to be happy to be back home I was quite suprised to find out that my mental state was not going to allow this. I felt down (depressed would be an exageration) and could not get back into the everyday jist of things. There was so much to do, and so little to satisfy me. It felt similar to entering a supermarket in Europe or the US after having just left a third world country. The abundance makes you feel sick to the stomache. In my case, I already felt sick so that did not help much.
I also felt deflated as missing my thyroid gland was starting to take it's toll. Fortunately I was to start my medication on Sunday morning. There was one problem however: when Professor Lips had entered my room he had told me he wanted to change the dose of the Thyrax for the first couple of days. During that conversation he changed his mind 3 times and he certainly did not know what he had prescribed intitially. In all this mumbo jumbo I had already decided to go by the prescription as this was all too confusing and to call him by monday morning. Unfortunately, the sticker had fallen off the tablet jar, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I was in total ignorance about what dose to take. All of this taking place on a saturday evening. Lips had also stressed that it was important to start the medication as soon as possible. I tried to reach the hospital chemist/pharmacy but they were obviously closed. They had not mentioned where to go to in case of emergencies. The pharmacy in the VU hospital is only a month old. I decided I would phone a pharmacy in the neighborhood of the hospital instead.
Sunday morning at 8 o'clock (I was to take the tablet before my breakfast). I checked the internet for pharmacies in the vicinity. They had a combined duty roster. So I phoned them to enquire if the VU hospital pharmacy also participated in this roster...and it did! The pharmacist was able to find my file and told me which dose to take. Finally!
This whole saga annoyed me so much, because if Lips had not come to see me to give me partial information on dosage, and back operations, etc...I would not have been confused in the first place. I decided I would set all of that straight and take control of my own coordination of provided care as soon as I was back in the hospital.

I was scheduled for a meeting with Professor Wuisman (Orthopedic Surgeon) on Monday morning. Not only did I feel cranky in the weekend due to my treatment, the above mentioned mess, and my missing thyroid,
I was also apprehensive and scared to hear what the surgeon would to say. Was the removal of one of my vertebrae necessary? This would mean I would have to go through a heavy operation.

No comments: