15 June 2007

The Byronic hero

After a great night out (4 hours in upright position) with Willemijn and Karlien I took a few hours to wind down again. Hence hitting the sack at 01.00 am! I was due up at 6.30 but woke up with a shock at 7.00 am. I was late and somehow managed to get out of bed, shower, take my pills and pack my breakfast in time for my ride to the hospital. I might add that that was a painful exercise, as I get up with cramped muscles which I normally get rid of by making a slow start.
Aldith accompanied me to the hospital today and Marcus brought us there and came along. I notice he knows the routine now, which allows him to help me out with getting on and off the scanning table which is a huge relief, when in fear.
I was nervous and tired because today is actually supposed to be the day that I have some indication that the cancer treatment is working. Each scan took 10 minutes to make. I had 6 scans and six markers made. Two of the scans had me clausterphobic in no time as I was angst-driven this morning. I resembled the Byronic hero as fear drove me to experience the morning as a dreaded hell. Generally, I can handle my fate pretty well, but there are moments that fear gets a face and grows into a giant monster. This was one of those occassions. Normally, I dream away and pretend to be on a beatiful beach in the Maldives, all alone. However, I was unable to conjure-up this image this morning as my nerves got in the way. I lay as still as I could in the scan and let the tears pour down my face instead. In the background I could hear Aldith and Marcus getting along like old chums. The scans seemed to take for ever! After the scans were made the sense of relief made me cry. Marc comforted me, and looking at Aldith, she could have used some of that too.
I then went to the toilet as fast as I could. Somehow all these treatments make my kidneys and bladder work over-time. I entered the toilet only to bump into a S.O.B. that had forgotten to lock the door. There he stood, like Boo Radley, pissing into (or most likely, next to) the pot. I slammed the door yelling out that he should have locked his G.D. door. I took the booth next to his and squealed that he should not be standing but sitting down. The nuclear department warns people that they should sit down whilst urinating in order to not piss on the seat or floor. These spills contaminate other patients and their chaperones with radioactivity throughout the rest of the day. Aldith stood outside the toilets as the man's wife came to see what was going on. I had obviously really elevated my voice and caused quite consternation. Whatever the case, she gave her husband hell in response to my outrage.
I had to go back to the scanning area afterwards as I had requested them to scan my feet and legs to be sure there were no tumors (or to put it precisely....areas which had taken up iodine) there. These were the first scans of my legs so far. It was reasuring to see that the Iodine had travelled to all the expected areas. The doctor can only tell me how well the treatment has gone when the lab results of my blood, taken on the day that I went into quarantine, are combined with the scan results.
I had expected to hear if the treatment went well today but I shall have to wait a few more days, as the blood test are evaluated only once a month. Hopefully they will be ready next Wednesday when I visit Lips.
Though I am not 100% certain of the outcome, I am now able to release my insecurity. To me it looks like they got most of the cells. We weren't expecting to get them all in the first go anyway.
It is weekend now! No more visits to the hospital until wednesday.
Before I left the hospital, my radioactivity was measured. 2,2 was my reading...which is extremely low. Sunday evening Kiara is coming home!!!!!

No comments: