19 June 2007

Baby K cries on

Kiara seems to have settled in again. Somewhere along the line we had discussed sleeping in the hospital bed in the living room. Kiara mentioned that she did not want to sleep there because there were different things there than in her bedroom. Like the fire place. (In other words...the fireplace was scary). I told her there was no need to be afraid of the fire place. She was scared that robbers could enter the room through the chimney. I told her this was impossible as the hole was too small.
However Zwarte Piet (black peter) climbs down it every December to bring her presents from Saint Nicholas and to collect the goodies for his horse.
This was my chance to tell her this was all a lie. This was a tough negotiation as she really did not want to know...but I did not want to go into another Fall filled with anxiety and all her friends already know that Saint Nick is fake anyway. Every year we have six weeks of nerves and sleepless nights...I am an evil mom, I am through with it and I crushed her dream...in the middle of the summer!
24 hours later...she cried because she would have preferred not to know. I on the other hand was happy that she was worrying about child-like problems instead of my illness. Thank you Saint Nicholas...for bringing me that gift.
I distracted her with a card that Merel had sent her. (How nice is that? Someone sending her a card instead of me!) Her tears were replaced by an endeared smile. I love it!

No comments: