24 June 2007

Follow the yellow brick road

Glamour and Glitz! Jacqueline, my adopted sister has been starring in the Dutch musical version of The Wiz (winner of 7 Tony Awards). After having seen her shimmer and shine in the Lion King I could not possibly miss seeing her in The Wiz in which she has a more prominent role. For a while it looked like my back was going to prevent me seeing the show. Jacqueline pleaded with her producer to arrange some tickets for myself and my family, and when we got them the whole cast put on a great show for us.

My mother, my aunt, my niece, my sister Angelique, Kiara and I, all made our way to the Beatrix theatre in Utrecht yesterday afternoon.

We were welcomed at the artists' entrance. After having had a drink we were chaperoned to our seats (row eight) to watch a wonderful show! Jacqueline was in the opening scene, as she played the role of Aunt Em. I was moved to tears as she sang her emotional song, which I knew she related to me. She was good! I don't mean just good, but REALLY good. It is amazing what people can achieve through sheer will-power and hard work!

Jacqueline is one of those people that can give this fine example and I am so proud to have her as a friend!

After the show Kiara had a meet 'n greet with the cast. We were allowed to have a look back stage too. The Lion King was overwhelming...but even with The Wiz, seeing the props up close and standing on the stage still amazes you.
The magnitude of it all is great.

We closed off the day with dinner in a second rate (not the prices, mind you) restaurant at the station.

When home we hit the sack, happy and fulfilled! I can not emphasize enough how important the arts are in our lives. Music, theatre, literature, paintings, sculptures, movies, fashion, dance....they, have always enriched my life....but right now, with my illness...the importance of it all has become much clearer to me.

Thank you Jacqui, the cast, producers, and security of The Wiz, for a wonderful day.

No comments: