18 September 2007

Thyroglobulin down from 22550 to 3540

Finally some measurable results! During my visit to Dr. Gerritsen I finally heard the results of the blood tests concerning my Iodine 131 treatment.

In order to determine whether the amount of cancer cells in my body have deminished. A blood test is done to measure the amount of Thyroglobulin, an enzyme produced by thyroid cells (The Thyroglobulin acts as a marker). In other words, our aim is to reduce the amount of Thyroglobulin in my body to a minimum. Hence the conclusion will be able to be drawn, at a certain point, that there are no longer any Thyroid cancer cells in my body. Seeing as the Thyroglobulin output has been reduced to 1/7, one can quickly conclude that the therapy is truely working at a rapid pace and in an effective manner. These values were measured on 7 June and 4 August. A new blood sample has been taken today.

This is the day that I can finally, without a doubt, say that I am beating the cancer. It is the day that I am able to tell Kiara that I am really getting much better. It is the day that I can let some of my worries go. But it's still a long way to go.



And it's a long way there, it's a long way to where I'm going,
And it's a long way there, it's a long way to where I'm going.

Hey everybody, don't you feel that there's something, but you know
in a moment it is gone.
I live for the day when I can hear people saying that they know and
they care for everyone
But I feel like I've been here for the whole of my life, never knowing
home.

It's a long way.
It's a long, long, long way there,
I'm gonna keep on tryin',
I'm gonna keep on tryin',
Yeah,I'm gonna keep on tryin',
I'm gonna keep on tryin', ah!

Little River Band






No comments: