26 September 2007

Beddy-byes

The bed is exit! I had had it with the bed. It was a huge obstacle in my home and represented illness and fear.

The first thing that needed taking care of in order to find back normality in my own home was irradicating the bed thang.

Yesterday I made the call to Vitaal to ask them to come and collect it. Somehow I was worried that everyone would say it might be too early. I don't know why I got that idea, but it had never been my own idea in the first place. I have to say it served it's purpose, but I hadn't planned to go there.

Not only did the bed go, so did the bed pan and the bed table. As I reclaimed land in my own home a space began to grow in my head.

I managed to attend to some vital administration the whole morning and came to the conclusion that I was still pretty organized as I managed to find all my papers rather rapidly. A clearer head has consequences. My body did not agree, and therefore pain played a role today. Like I said yesterday, "something has got to give".

Back to rehab tomorrow! Last night I did not take my Clonazepam (a rather addictive medicine designed to calm wobbily legs). As I have been taking it for over a month I thought I might just see if I can do without it. I am not sure if that has caused the pain which I felt today, but I believe that playing ping-pong (a rehab exercise) for 23 minutes yesterday most probably was the actual cause of my pain.

Here goes another night without Clonazepam! Being off this stuff will make it easier to get an OK stamp in my driving license. (A procedure which is not compulsory but which puts me in a better situation if I were to have an accident, legally). Just a few more weeks until I get my stamp, hopefully, as I spoke to the man from CBR (the equivalent to CMV in the US) who is almost certain that I will be granted my stamp.

This afternoon I picked up Kiara from school and she played with her friend Bo. It is a blessing to have her be able to be around me. She was thankful for being able to jump in the shower with me as she said,

"I am so happy that this is possible again".
I guess that despite all the tragedy, Kiara has already learnt a very important lesson in life:To cherish the small things we take for granted each day.

In the evening Paul came to visit me. I hadn't seen him in a long time so it was great to have him here. Slowly, but surely I will find my way back into my own social circuit. At the moment interaction is overwhelming, as nature forces me to concentrate on getting well.I must use my energy well. "Something has got to give". Bear with me, I will come around and reply my e-mails, phone calls and tekst messages eventually. The funny thing is, that as I spoke to one of my rehab gang, we both noticed that coming home, socializing amongst our peers (i.e. the other invalids) feels much more familiar than socializing within our own environment. I suppose it is all a matter of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like dem say in JA:
"One step at a time!"

D.