20 September 2007

Coping with stretching pain

As a result of my operation and lying flat on my back for 6 weeks, my hamstrings and quadriceps muscles were shortend. Basically, before I went into the hospital, my legs were in shape and my back wasn't...and after I came out the reverse was the case. In rehab the primary aim was to get my muscle strenght back to normal. Seeing as the strength in my muscles was 4,5 on a scale of 5 when I started rehab, much of my physical therapy has been aimed at lengthening my muscles to enable normal movement.

Stretching your muscles to lengthen them is without a doubt a matter of "no pain, no gain". There are different techniques for this such as active stretching and passive stretching. (The first is self induced, the later by external force). It is the passive stretching, that causes the bad pain. One type of treatment (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) involves the therapist applying resistance. This technique is applied to my hamstrings and quadriceps. The same evening and the next day are killing. The pain is bothering and gets in the way of your daily activities. The question is where does one find the balance between trying to get on at home and trying to get back in shape? I am the type of person that tries to deal with both. Perhaps that is the reason for my quick recovery. Resting in between helps but pushing yourself is also a mental effort. As for today.....OUCH!

No comments: