10 June 2010

Surgery today

Morning all! As I wake-up today I am a little apprehensive. Today is the big day as I am scheduled for the surgery of my arm. Remember the operation in february when they placed the pin in my arm? Well the pin has moved from it's position which is giving me a lot of pain due to the fact that the purpose of the pin was to fixate the arm.

Today they are going to remove the pin that failed to do the job and are going to replace it with with a new, shorter and thicker pin. I don't like the idea that they have to redo an operation but I don't have much of a choice. Hope to hear from you all after my OP.

Just a strange little anecdote from yesterday....: I went for a PET scan yesterday which involves administering radioactive glucose through an IV which is used as a mrker for the tumors. So they gave me a new needle in my wrist and I suggested they would leave it there as I was to be in for surgery today and would need a drip!. The radiologist was concerned about the needle blurring her picture and refused to leave it in there. I don't know what she was thinking! How could a tiny needle be a problem if I already have heaps of metal in my body? Anyway, I gave her her way.
The scan lasted a good 40 minutes! And when I came out I was totally suprised that my hand was asleep. How was that possible in that position? And my whole arm was wet too, I could'nt have sweated that much! Then it dawned on me and I lifted my arm from under the blanket. A blue hand soaked in blood emerged from my bed. The artery had not closed up properly and had been leaking blood for nearly an hour...What a mess, it was radioactive too, which seemed to be the radiologists main concern! What a way to start the day! -Breakfast in Amsterdam!-

I will be returning to this room after my operation! Needing all the candles and prayers in the World!

PS: Joy, I am concerned that I haven't heard from you this week. Please give me a life-sign a.s.a.p.!