28 July 2008

Time flies









Wow, life is moving along at a very fast pace. Time is passing by so quickly that I am hardly able to keep up with the facts. I suppose the easiest thing is to sum up the highlights.

Monday was pretty much a normal day. I attended work and rested the rest of the day.

Tuesday I paid a visit to the VU hospital's nuclear department where I had a shot to test if the Octreotide treatment is an option for me.

Wednesday I had a scan to check the outcome of the test. The test proved to be very positive. This is good news as it means that this, more experimental treatment, is an option for me and will hopefully substitute of be administered in addition to the Iodine treatment. This treatment works in a similar way to the Iodine treatment and is used mainly for cancer of the intestines. Dr. Lips will try to get me into the programme in Rotterdam now. -Hair begins to fall out.

Thurday I had a few chores lined up. I had the plumber over, the Car Glass man and I also waited for Kiara's new cupboard which did not arrive. The deliverer called me to let me know that it would be delivered Friday. In the afternoon I joined Marcus in Amsterdam and we did a little shopping. I also went to the lab for a bloodsample for the evaluation of the Iodine treatment. - A hand full of hair in the morning.

On Friday I waited for Kiara's cupboard. I took the occasion to tidy up her room as she is away with her father now. I also made an overview of my tumors in preparation of my meeting with the new doctor in the AVL later next month. To my shock, there are and have been 28 areas in my body where tumors have spread to. This wonderful excel-sheet should offer some insight.

I had lunch with my cousin, Preciosa and saw her lovely son Björn for the first time. I had to hurry to the Pupils inspection as I had a meeting with the man that was going to decide if Kiara gets time off in September. Hip Hip Hurray! She does! so we will be off to Jamaica on the 24th of September. I haven't told her this time and won't do so until we are ready to leave. She has had too much disappointments to deal with. It wasn't easy to get her out...but I persevered and won. I didn't dare comb my hair that morning as I had a dinner date with Willemijn, Karlien and Dideke. I was sure it would all fall out.

I met them in Muiden in the Doelen, where we had a splendid meal, the company was excellent. My company that is (the ladies). I had no idea that I was being taken out so I was very suprise to hear that I was being treated. This gesture had some strings attached. Something about weddings?....- When I was home I combed my hair. I yielded two hands full. I am officialy bald. And seeing the bump now....well if my doctor had seen this a year ago he would have moved real quick. And to think that this has already deminished by at least two thirds.

I have deliberated about posting this photograph but it is part of my story and it would be incomplete if I did not add it.
On Saturday I went to Amsterdam to have my head shaved. I took the opportunity to check out the real hair wigs. I found one and picked it up monday after work. In the evening Sidney spent the night here. I made fish sticks from scratch with Pangasius fillet. I can really recommend that!

Sunday I splashed out and went shopping on my own in Almere-city. I did really good for little money. I finished the afternoon by treating myself to high-tea. Mmmm that was delicious. At night I got back to my chores and did my ironing. Boy do I hate ironing. Especially now, as it hurts my shoulder.

Today is monday. I went to work with Shakira and my co-workers made me feel really relaxed with my new look. Shakira is pretty warm so I was happy to be able to pick-up my other real hair wig. After a pedicure I went to my sister Angélique who was just back from her trip the the West Coast (USA). She and her husband Hugo have baptised my new wig; 'Candy'. Candy (as in Candy girl) isn't as long and as warm to wear as Shakira. It's nice to have an option!

No comments: