31 July 2008

A short get-away.

With a Kiara away from home, and tired of running in and out of hospitals, Marcus and I decided to get away from the havoc for two days.
I booked a night in De Koperen Hoogte, a hotel that was built in an old water tower.
It was a short drive so I wasn't too exhausted when arrived there. After checking in we had to wait a while until our room was ready so we drove into the Calvinistic town of Staphorst. It was time for lunch so we settled into a café. I was suprised at all the glum faces, which started me laughing. Each new face I looked at was a little bit worse, but by the time I was finished looking at every one I was in hysterics, laughing so much that tears poured over my cheeks! It was miserable weather. The place turned dark and water gushed out of the sky. But when we were finished eating the sun came out again. We made a small tour of the area including the Ten Cate motorbike shop. While we were driving around the area I recognized the scenery; it looked like the place where I stayed at summer pony camp when I was 10 and 11 years old. Low and behold, only about two miles further on we drove past the farm. I couldn't believe that I had recognized it after 30 years!

After our tour we checked out the shops in the hotel. They were quiet nice and n0t too expensive. No purchases this time! Instead we went to settle into our very luxurious room.


Dinner was at the top of the tower in a rotating restaurant. The food was good. Then we had some coffee on the terras downstairs overlooking the private lake.



The next day we toured the area, visiting Zwolle and Kampen. It felt like a real holiday. We should get away more often.

No comments: