18 November 2007

Beating the odds

It must have been in June or July that I told Jocelyn that my target was to visit her during Kiara's Spring holidays. Frankly, at the time I was not sure if I was going to survive this thing.
When I got home from being internalized at rehab, I noticed that Kiara was having trouble processing everything that had gone on. I was feeling pretty depressed too as I had just jumped off the merry-go-round and was being confronted with all the things I couldn't do anymore. Within 24 hours I decided that I would take on a project to prove to myself what I COULD do. I called the school to get permission to get Kiara out of school, then I called PwC to see how they felt about letting me go. At the word "go" I booked my flight to Washington DC. I had been dying to go there because my friend Jocelyn just had her baby. Jocelyn and I go back as far as fifth grade, which means that we have been friends for 30 years.
I was scared of the flight which was more than 8 hours. On top of that, I had to get to the Airport in time to get myself a good seat. Marcus brought us to the airport which was a great send off. I did not find a good seat by the way, but having grabbed all the cushions in sight I managed to get myself into a position that was nearly comfortable.

The flight was smooth and when we landed at Dulles Airport there was someone waiting with a wheelchair. He got me passed customs really fast but I had to wait for my bag for ages. I got out before Jocelyn had reached the airport, which proved handy because we were able to get right in the car. It felt really surreal to be here. I could not believe that I had made it across the Atlantic Ocean. I have managed to get back one of the most important aspects of my life. Travel! Boy don't I love to travel!

The next day we went shopping at a nearby mall. Jocelyn, Zara, Kiara and I hit the shops and had a meal. What made it possible was the fact that the mall had scooters which I could borrow. Here's little Zara sitting on a Fur Real Friends pony in the leopard outfit which we gave her.

A day later I went shopping with Kiara on my own. We had lunch out at the Cheesecake Factory. Funny, Kiara didn't want the Cheesecake! But she had crabcakes instead. I notice this trip is also doing her good. She is playing and laughing like a child again and she has started to talk about the things that are troubling her. That alone was reason enough to have her come on this trip with me.

As for me, being in a different environment is very refreshing. I am managing OK despite the pain in my back. Luckily the bed here is great.

Today we went to the play ground (Turtle Park) where Kiara once played when she was almost 4 years old. It is the same park where Jocelyn used to play as a child! It is very international and I ended up speaking to Dutch and

German people there. Always loved Washington DC... probably because so many people have a similar background to my own. In the afternoon I rested and Kiara had a great time with Matt.

More fun to come!

2 comments:

Jocelyn Zarr '86 said...

aisha you are da bomb baby!

Anonymous said...

Have a nice stay............

John