06 March 2010

Post Op

A week has passed since my operation and things are gradually picking up. I had great support from my family which is very helpful in these situations.
I suppose you can say that the operation was succesful despite the fact that my bone broke in two. So how are things now? My recovery is almost supernatural. I am already using my arm a little bit and the pain is not too bad. I do however get back aches, probably from compensating for my arm.
When they place the pin, theoretically, the cancer material is pushed down the inside of the bone to the bottom part where the pin ends. Radiation therapy is therefore necessary to prevent the cancer spreading to that area.
I will be going in to get beamed sometime next week. Then after that we are resuming the Iodine treatment to be on the safe side. I am giving the chemo a break and actually intend on firing my oncologist to subsequently try to get with the program in Leiden LUMC.

This whole thing has been really disturbing. I was just moving along when my last limb lost way. It worries me to think what is next.

As all this is happening I am still focussing on the future. I'm not through yet. I am trying to figure out what to do regarding my company (hoping to find a way to work on a more frequent basis) and am looking into where to live after this house. Because my career came to a screeching halt, it will be impossible to stay in this house for more than a year and a half or so. There are many new building projects around and I hope to take part in one. Figuring out what is best for myself and for Kiara is tough.

As for Kiara, she seems to have bleeped this operation away. When I told her about it all she said was 'you're turning into a robot'. Luckily she had her holidays while I was in the hospital. She stayed at Martin's and was able to get her mind off things. When she came back on Sunday night, I think it must have been as if nothing had happened.

It's one of those sleepless nights. I will post some pics in the morning.