14 September 2009

Stockholm rocks!



After (2009)
Before (approx. 1979?)










I've done it again. I made a trip on my own that has really been long due. Finally, after knowing Helena for 34 years, I made it to Stockholm to visit Helena's wonderful family of 4 children. Helena and I go way back! We got to know each other in Tunisia in Ms. Brown's 3rd grade class. Helena was the one with the beautiful handwriting which I tried to copy, but never, ever succeeded. The Stockholm area resembles Holland but is much more spacious. Stockholm is a beautiful, modern and elegant city. The art deco buildings adorn the alleyways with lush-green and old trees forming a canopy above the pedestrian paths. Design is a big thing in Sweden, and so is food. Helena lives in the town center with everything close at hand, including a brother and a sister, both of whom I also still knew from Tunis. Johan came in every day and was so kind to push me around a large part of the town center on Saturday, while Goran and Helena dashed around town to get their 3 kids, Alexander, Anton and Anna to each of their soccer games, whilst Clara, the youngest of the 4 had to go to a birthday party. Running such a large family is like a military operation. Having known that from my own family it was really fun to watch in a contemporary setting. Later on Helena joined us for a 2 hour boat trip which gave a really good idea of what Stockholm was like. Saturday night Charlotta and Johan also joined us for dinner. I was making long days so I did not get to bed too late.




Sunday morning we had a lie in. We hit the shopping mall after breakfast and then headed out to the television tower. A restaurant was located at the 28th floor where Helena treated us to a wonderful lunch. Time flew by and it was time to head for the airport again. I have many more pics but I will load them later.





No comments: