12 March 2008

Prognosis yields life

So, where have I been the last couple of days? I suppose I have been living. A trip to Dr. Lips has been very positive, as I got the results of my total body scan and the scintigraph (scans the iodine uptake). The iodine uptake was excellent. I was able to feel it. It had been so annoying when the radiologist had not allowed me to see my scan last week. These people have no idea how much uncertainty they cause. For her, it was obviously not a pretty sight. For me the result was great, as there were no suprises to be found. Next time I shall negotiate before I have the scan. I have verified and Lips thinks it's a load of "bull" to not allow me to see my scans.
The total body scan I made earlier, was also a relief. There was nothing there that I did not expect. All in all, up to my treatment everything was OK.
The Thyroglobulin reading was high. This time the result was 16600. I had expected an increase as the level increase is closely related to the amount of Thyrax (my medication) in my bloodsystem. This time I stopped taking my medication 4 weeks in advance, rather than 3 weeks. The value of my blood test can therefore not be compared to the last one. The next question is...is my prognosis clear yet? Though Lips ensured me that there will come a time when my treatment will no longer work, he has compared my case to one of his other patient's case, a man that is still using the iodine treatment after 13,5 years. This has led him to assume that given the current status, and given the current knowledge in this field, I should have at least another 10 years. (There are also 2 new types of treatment available to me if the Iodine should stop working). Though many people will say that 10 years is not much...it is a huge gift to me. I signifies that I will be able to lead Kiara into adulthood. It is 10 years opposed to dying last year.
A time to celebrate, and live. Knowing that I have 10 odd years gives me the freedom to be ambitious again, and to go back to work without any reservations.
And 10 years is short enough, to once in a while be a little selfish. Don't you agree?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lieve Ai,
over 10 jaar is Kiara 18, ben jij 48, is Moeder 80 en Pap 87 jr. en vier jij hun 60 jarig huwelijk. En deze 10 jaren hebben nog zo veel moois voor jou in petto, geniet van alles wat op jouw pad komt. Ik wil je weer vertellen hoe sterk je bent en dat ik heel erg trots op je ben. Heel veel liefs en koefjes,
je Tita