05 March 2008

Cancer causes commotion

A week and a half has gone by since my last treatment, more or less in retreat. I managed to catch yet another flu last week and have taken to eating green magma to enhance my general health. The treatment has some side effects like pain in the areas where the tumors are situated, disturbed intestines, pain and swelling in the joints, and depression. All of which make you very touchy. This in combination with a new fase in my process was pretty strenuous. My sister Adrienne also visited from France with her husband Jacques and my sister, Jacqueline helped me out with a paint job in Kiara's room. All this was very hectic, as I had a house full of people, and a huge mess too. This all resulted in general apathy on my part, so I concentrated on all the calls I had to make this week. There is so much more I need to get done, but procrastination has become my middle name as I try to wind down the pace at which I have been doing things for almost a year, already. The doctor in charge of my reintegration at work was right when he told me to not work more than 4 hours a week yet. I noticed this this week when the flu had bogged me down so much that I decided not to go to the office. Next week there will be plenty of time to go for it again.
In the meantime I phoned my physical therapist to make an appointment to continue my battle against orthopedic obstruction. Much to my suprise there had been some havoc about my case the past couple of months. I had 3 simple questions: 1) How come they did not think that scans were necessary last year, 2) How come they did not revert me to my GP when I talked about the nightly sweating. 3) Why did my physical therapist not call me back when she heard I had cancer.
These were apparantly difficult questions to answer. Especially if I wanted to talk with them with my friend Tineke there who is also a physical therapist. I gave them cause to believe that I assumed malpractice. I thought I had been clear about that matter, but the commotion led to an internal investigation, including calls with my GP. I couldn't believe it, and found myself consoling the therapist instead of the other way around. Now why did this bug me. After getting satisfactory answers to my questions, 3/4 of a year ahead I asked for a new appointment. My therapist wanted to pass me on to her colleague. I did not know why as she has been an excellent therapist for the passed 5 years, or so. She promised to call me back, only to tell me that they didn't dare handle my case any more...she did not feel as if she could be objective anymore. I heard the stress and pain in her voice, and agreed that in that case it would be best if I moved on. I can't help thinking that we live in a rather feable community....or is it me that has become alot tougher?
Tomorrow I am going to Lips to hear the first news about the scans. I am feeling pretty confident about the results even though I think that there has been some spreading of the cancer. All in all I expect a decrease in the total amount of cells. More on this subject later this week.

No comments: