14 February 2008

A case of the Mumps

Since January 7th, the day after I went back to PwC, I have been battling a severe flu. All my treatment and the cancer itself are antagonizing my resistance to bugs. An infection of my nasal cavity caused me to sniff and snotter for more than a month. When I decided I was fed up with it I went to the doctor for an antibiotic cure. The day after I started the cure a bronchial infection broke out. The Doxycycline appeared to be drying up all the mucus in my lungs, but my nasal cavity was still not much better. On one side of my mouth a secretion of saline saliva has been bothering me for a while. I wondered what that was. Suddenly on Tuesday morning my cheeks blew up to humongus proportions, as if I had put a pingpong ball in my mouth. It was troubling to me. Was this a lymph node or a salivary gland? The first being bad news, the second being annoying. I freaked out and called my doctor.
The earliest I could see him was the next morning. 8.40 in the next morning I made my appearance. The doctor told me that I had Parotitis (a sister of the Mumps) an infection of the salivary glands. I have now started my new cure of Amoxycycline. I hope to be ready for my next treatment! Who would think that I would get that at the age of 39! My resistance is so low that it looks like I could catch anything. I assume that these are viruses and bacteria that we have around us all the time. But no one is bothered by them as a normal resistance keeps them away.

1 comment:

Jocelyn Zarr '86 said...

omigosh Aisha....what??? i mean how much more junk can we pile on here? poor thing! hang in there girl we are thinking of you and just tried to skype you again.
just remember "Ping and Pong played ping pong and...Ping did shoot the pingpong ball into aisha's cheek... Ping said that Pong did it and Pong said that Uncle Mumpy did it"
(inside joke for kiara)
love j