17 February 2008

Anniversary of a fractured back

Today, precisely one year ago, I fractured my back. The anniversary is painful yet full of hope, as I try to come to grips with an altered horizon.

Living each day to the fullest is an energy consuming way to live, which is why I seek clarity about my prognosis. A 3 year prognosis requires a different approach to a 10 year prognosis. This is the uncertainty with which I live at the moment.




In the meantime we had a wonderful weekend visiting the flea market of Beverwijk. Kiara, Marc, Collin and I shopped till we dropped yesterday. Armed with my grape-coloured wheel chair we hit the Dutch Bazar on a very cold Saturday afternoon. We ate and drank and bought nice clothes! It was an extraordinary day. Quite remarkable as I had some tummy flu (including frontal and rear secretions) the night before to add a little spice to the mumps.

Earlier that day I had been the 'chick on a mission' as my sister would say. As my rehab is coming to an end the doctor of the centre had decided that he would like to see me cycle again. Determined as I am I headed for town with my bicycle in my hand to let them put some air in my tires. I earnestly told the guy at the bike shop that I had been declared an invalid and this was the moment I had chosen to cycle again. I have never seen anyone fix a bike that fast! After some business in town I headed home again. I cycled home. What a rush! Last night, as Marc and I caught up on Valentine's day, Kiara spent the night at Aldith's. This morning I picked her up by bike. We cycled home (Kiara on the back)! I have one happy little girl. And all this on the anniversary of my back fracture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aisha, you are a segment of the Miracle of Life. Many many congratzzz on your Huge Achievement on this emotionally burdened day. I am so proud of you, and so happy you can ride a bike (even though I know you - like myself...) don't really LIKE riding a bike in Dutch weather. Big big day! Enjoy what's left of it...


xxx Aldith xxx