04 October 2007

Still a friend for War Child


We did it! We actually did it! Kiara and I went to the Friends for War Child concert. Another one of those very important goals to achieve. Only a year ago I had just left War Child (my most significant job) to start a PwC, when Kiara, Jacqueline and I went to the Friends for War Child concert. I was totally oblivious to what I was carrying around with me at the time, but I did already know something serious was going on as I had been diagnosed with Lyme disease!
Getting there tonight was a major achievement as I had to drive there and back myself, in Holland's worst economical fiend, the traffic jam. A huge task for me but I was decided...this was another one of those mountains to climb.

Over the hill, was an abundance of peace, love and happiness, as War Child once again performed one of it's luminous tricks to raise the very much needed funds for the future. A future in which hopefully, there will be less wars, and juvenile victims of this distruction that humans tend to inflict on each other.

There has not been another job where I was as passionate about my work. And someday I hope to return.

The evening was packed with
A-grade artists. Each and everyone of them there, free of charge to support War Child's fundraising concert. The line-up consisted of Holland's finest, amongst whom, Marco Borsato who is the ambassador to the organisation.

Being there felt good. As the Dutch would say; it felt like a warm tub. And it was great to see my old co-workers and feel as if no time at all had passed. For Kiara it is the only occasion for which I allow her up this late on a week day. It is not just fun, there is also a lesson to be learnt.

Sometimes I feel like I went through a horrible dream, as if nothing had happened at all. It has made me more emotional and I found myself releasing tears, perpetually this evening at the beauty of what life can offer us if only we choose to take it.

You could choose to support this organisation as your money will be well spent. This past year 83% of the donations actually reached the projects themselves.

Go, friends at War Child! Keep up the excellent work!
After all was said and done we headed back home. This time the trip went as planned and we made it home in just under an hour. I have succeded to pull this off. Thanks to Sonja, Ahoy, Pien, Ingrid, Iris, Willemijn, Stef and a few more WC volunteers for helping me bridge the gaps tonight. It would have been a hellish task to have fun tonight without you.

No comments: