19 October 2007

Curiosity killed the cat

With Kiara being away for a week and myself still being slightly radioactive, I have spent a reasonably uneventful week at home. Apart from two days of home improvement, I mostly took to sleeping in, hanging on the couch, watching TV and referring from actually cooking. After the treatment I feel no desire to eat hot meals. I have felt OK most of this week, until this morning.

Yesterday evening I watched a new (and despicable) show called Babyboom (for the Rastafarian's amongst yourselves ...that sounds pretty much like Babylon) on Dutch commercial television where 100 couples were followed during their quest to get pregnant and have a child. I could not imagine anyone sharing this with the rest of the country and was totally flabbergasted by the time I went to sleep. The result being that I found myself in a dream in which I was competing to be the best survivor of Cancer world wide. When I woke up I had reached the 84th position which was troubling to me, as 84 might rank high on the World list, but competitive as I am it was still a long-shot for me to win the game. Crazy how the mind works, but I got up flustered and glowing only to find that I had a full bladder which needed a release as soon as possible. I made 3 trips down the stairs between 5.30 and 7.00 o'clock and as if my bladder had to make way for my intestines, a bowel movement took place immediately after which had me running another 2 times. It was diarrhoea a symptom of my treatment which is now precisely one week ago. A nauseous feeling in the stomache accompanies these symptoms, a condition I just have to go through. Compared to how fit I felt at the beginning of the week, today seems quiet the opposite as I feel a great lack of energy. Hopefully by the beginning of next week I will be in form again to continue my rehab.
It has been nice not living on anyone else's schedule for a few days, as I have been doing precisely that since July 2nd when I was admitted. It is easier for me to be at home alone than it used to be, I think I am more satisfied about what I have rather than worry about what I don't have. A lot of good can come out of being desperately ill.

No comments: