10 October 2007

Killing the cancer part III

Superwoman strikes again this weekend. She will be killing the cancer with a radioactive capsule once more. For those of you who missed part I, Thyroid cancer is treated with radioactive Iodine 131, a tiny white capsule which is swallowed. The Iodine then makes its way through my body through my bloodstream towards the remaining cancer cells which are all, technically speaking, thyroid cells. As thyroid cells have the characteristic of absorbing Iodine, thyroid treatment is very precise and on the (cancerogenous) spot. I will therefore be radioactive for the next months. Three days of which I am a danger to grown-ups, and 10 days to children or pregnant women. Kiara will be staying at her father's this coming week which is a normal arrangement for her as she would normally be spending her mid-term with him anyway.
I will be admitted at 10.00 o'clock to my isolation cell where I will have full access to the phone. (A real life-saver!)

The object of this exercise is to kill as many cancer cells as possible. This is measured by testing for the Thyroglobulin marker in my blood. On Friday morning my blood will be tested, and this test will also be repeated when I go back for my scan on the 18th. Unfortunately, the results of the bloodtest can take up to 4 weeks. We will therefore, have to wait to know how well things went. Until Friday I am on a low Iodine diet, meaning that no foods from the sea or salt are to be eaten. If you are trying to make quick meals this can be quite difficult as so many ingredients contain salt. The next 2 days I shall be preparing for my admition. The second time round is harder. As time moves on you get tired of treatment and maybe also used to living with cancer.

My phone number will be published on here this weekend.

No comments: