08 October 2007

Golden goals

I did it again! This weekend we celebrated my parent's 50th anniversary. Yes, 50 years it is, and still happy! A fine example to anyone. The celebration was in the small town of Doesburg, near the German border at de Ijsselhoeve. It is really quite pitureske and we made our way to Landgoed Avegoor in the early afternoon of Saturday.

I had booked a very classy hotel in order to guarantee my rest, if necessary. Armed with crutches and a wheelchair we arrived at our destination, where the service was so fine that they even came to greet me at the car. After checking in I stretched out on my bed for an hour and a half before getting dressed.
Doesburg was only 8 KMs from our hotel. At 3 we made our way to a the very relaxing party. I did well, physically. It is hard to sit there and receive everybody's sympathy, though it is great that people made an effort to speak to me personally. However hard it may be to talk openly about the C-word, somehow it deminishes it's distructive power. Sorta-like sayin'; "Who's afraid of cancer?".

If enough people talk about it like it's just an everyday thing, then maybe it will feel really vulnerable and go away.
Anyway I am very happy to have made it this far. To actually be there and participate fully this weekend. The hotel offered an environment for walks, facilities for swimming etc.. So the next day after a very nice breakfast, everybody did their thing as I once again rested. Kiara even went swimming twice!
On the way back, we visited my old friend Heym and got home at seven. Kiara was fast asleep by seven-thirty, ready to start the last week before my Iodine treatment. I am not looking forward to quarantine as I have noticed that many things at the hospital have caused psychological traumas. Going there brings back awful memories. Maybe if I go there often enough it will go away...just like the cancer.










Landgoed Avegoor .............................De IJsselhoeve

No comments: