02 November 2009

luctor et emergo

Which is latin for ‘I struggle and emerge’ seems to be the correct description of my life at the moment. After starting the cure again it is now the 3rd time that I stop for a few days. Despite the fact that I have lost most of my hair, I seem to be doing OK. I managed to get through the past 10 days or so which have been crazily busy. Kiara had her première in the Royal Carré theater last week on Saturday the 25th of October. It was a huge bash with many famous Dutch politicians and celebs. Kiara and I spent almost the whole day getting ready. It was Kiara's moment to shimmer and shine. I bought her a Gala dress through this nifty online store. A lady in Nijmegen buys second hand dresses from oil sheiks in Saudie Arabia and resells them in Holland at a reasonable price. We kept it a secret until the special day and the added tiara completed the look entirely. I took my dress out of the storage. A dress that I used to wear when I was working at the AVRO on special evenings. In the evening we met up with all the kids and their parents at the town hall in Amsterdam and the kids were given red carpet instructions by...guess who! It payed off as you can see.










Aldith had joined us that evening. She has been helping me out tremendously with Kiara's transportation. It was great for the three of us to be out that evening. Kiara did not have to perform that evening. First it seemed like a disapointment to her, but after a while she noticed that there were benefits. The kids working that night missed a large part of the party.


It was a wonderful show and also the first time Kiara saw it herself. People were dancing and singing in the crowd. Meanwhile the Dutch television was transmitting a live report. Before that, a fragment of one of Kiara's shows was on the News. The evening ended with a huge party. The next day Kiara had to perform. We had a wonderful time. I have to say though that it is rather demanding to do all of this during chemotherapy. However...the energy that it generates is tremendous. It's not back to normal yet. Kiara still has 12 shows to go this year. It is amazing how well she does in school.

1 comment:

Jocelyn Zarr '86 said...

ai!!!!! these photos tell beautiful stories!!!! just phenom! gosh kiara on stage is perfectly natural for her!! and you look GORGEOUS, did i say GORGEOUS!!! you bet; love the shot of you laughing in the middle of a party.. and the one of you and kiara in beautiful dresses!!! wow!!!!