12 June 2008

Killing the cancer part IV

It's time for my Iodine treatment again. I will be admitted to the hospital again tomorrow for my 4th treatment with radioactive Iodine. This treatment is supposed to gradually deminish the amount of cancer cells, hopefully leaving 0 cancer cells in the body. A theoretical amount as thyroid cancer never leaves the body entirely. The last readings were not good. Instead of decreasing the amount of cells increased, boosting my quest for a surgeon brave enough to operate me. The VU hospital may be the most advanced in the country, but regarding attitude, communication and dealing with cancer patients, they have a lot to learn. Frustration about the way my case is being approached brought me back to Dr. Luykx's office yesterday. My mother and Marcus came along and we had a very good converstation about the procedures regarding my treatment the past year. She is convinced that changing hospitals would do me good. A more aggressive approach would suit me better which could involve a possible operation. The doctor stipulated that I am much too young, too strong, and too willing to fight to be satisfied with a treatment according to a protocol designed for elderly people. This form of cancer in this stage is usually only seen in elderly people, which means that they have to adjust my treatment to that of a 40 year old mother. As far as prognoses go, she told me that this is not something to worry about yet, as I am infact doing very well. She was impressed with the 4 hours a week that I am spending at work. She made many more statements which left me full of hope and willingness to carry on my cruisade for life. I feel very relieved. Anyway, tomorrow I'm back in the hospital and in 2 week time I will be in Jamaica, not worrying my bumpy head, none. You can reach me at the hospital by calling my cell phone. I should be out by Sunday.
This time we have adjusted the procedure beforehand. I only stopped using my medication 2 weeks ago and I have had 2 Thyrogen injections to boost my TSH levels. This is supposed to enhance the Iodine uptake. It is supposed to leave me less tired afterwards than when I stop with the Thyrax earlier. How odd! Years ago I had a job interview at Genzyme. I was allergic to something in the air and ended up coughing throughout the entire meeting. They did not hire me. I always thought their line of work was rather scary and now, I am taking their medicines. I will be back on here after the weekend.

No comments: