17 April 2010

Adjusting to home

On Tuesday I was set loose from the Hospital. Mom was at home with Kiara and Marcus came to pick me up. There was a load of irritation as security wouldn't let Marcus on top of the ramp to pick me up, so leaving the hospital became rather stressful. It was strange to feel how low my energy level is.

Marcus, who's normal job is to drive sick people, drove me home professionally. An ambulance couldn't have done a better job. It was lovely to be home again but this was also the moment that I was to be confronted with my new handicap.

The day before the hospital bed had come and Mom and Aldith had tried to make the place feel as comfy as possible. My transition from the hospital bed to the bed in my living room was smooth. I wasn't depressed in anyway and was able to enjoy being back with Kiara too.

That same morning, I had had physical therapy, trying to figure out if the stairs were going to work for me. They told me to not go up and down the stairs, and that that would be dangerous. For the moment I am confined to my living room. Sobeit.

The next day a lot of familiy members came to see me. We had a little party and I felt blessed to have such a wonderful family. It was very busy for me but I really enjoyed it!











On Thursday I had a major job to do...My client had a presentation on Friday and I had to help finish the website and part of the presentation to be held for the partners. I woke-up early to start writing, but my computer crashed, and internet wasn't working. Neither on Planet as on UPC. Then my body crashed. I had had to reduce the steroids that I am taking to tone down the swelling in the area where I had my radiation therapy...but the drop in medicine cause me to feel severly ill and panic. I ended up calling Dr. Hoefnagels from the neurology department and he told me that I needed to come back for a check-up. Aldith drove me there and they decided to increase my intake again and to wait for improvement first. I got home around 20.30 hrs... and still had my job to do. The computer was still giving me problems so I ran a virusscan for 2 hours and went to sleep. I woke up at 04.00 and actually managed to finish my job in time for the presentation. Many thanks for the rest of the team at Prothese Sport for helping me out and practicing patience.


Thursday was also a day that I got some stuff done. The man from the municipality came by to talk about my new home and other types of aid, and my financial advisor also came to discuss my mortgage for the Entrada.


By Friday I knew that both endeavors were working out. I will get a amount of money for moving from this home to the next. Changes that need to be made to accomodate my illness will be payed for in the new flat. And Pascal says that the mortgage will not be a problem!

I am going to start to clear out my house from everything that I do not need. Today we sold Kiara's outdoor toys. She's made quite a Buck from it!

The next thing to do is to get the house ready to sell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Heftig, maar hartstikke knap van je, ik bewonder je om je doorzettingsvermogen.
Liefs,
Janna

Ledelay said...

You are such a brave person! I admire you.... Xxx keep a hotline for you open;-) much love, Margreet Ledelay

appelejan said...

that's what you can really call double trouble, body and internetconnection going out both on the same time, while needing both to meet up your deadline. Getting to know you better and better both problems, seem no excuse for you, not to live op to your responsibility. Well it seems you figth all the odds even though it wouldn't have been unthinkable in this case that you had to give in to the circumstances. But no strongheaded as you are apparently you can not be stopped , not by body nor hesitating internetconnections. Wel good for you but next time I wish you a little less troublesome homecoming and picking up work again.
a real tough cookie, that's what you are :o) But I do hope that you also permit yourself a little bit rest to recover from all the medical treatment they have to perform on you. good to read that you have the ability to always look at the brigth side of life :o)