16 January 2008

Not taking any chances

It is said that the makers of masks sometimes put a spell on the buyers. If this is true, than one could imagine that this is most likely of masks made for tourists.

4 years ago I bought a mask in Jamaica, rather much like the one in the picture. I hung it by my bed, superstiously thinking it might be protecting me from intruders. My mother and several other people felt uncomfortable in its presence, but I kept thinking....it's just a mask. In an older entry called Dreamin' of the Reaper, I mentioned a visit by the Grim Reaper in my dreams and that he was disguised as Jack Sparrow. You see, I am a big fan of Johnny Depp, so he could have easily tricked me. I was sharp enough to send him away to go and fetch someone else.
A couple of weeks before Christmas, Kiara came into my bed and literally turned white. She did not know of my dream and told me that she saw Jack Sparrow's face in the mask. Well superstious or not....I decided that it was time to get rid of the mask. Kiara had stipulated that there were certain regulations to take with regards of dispensing the monster. It was not to be burnt, I was not to throw it out and I was not to give it to ill or black people! Well well, I had a problem. I suggested we would leave it behind in the woods or a burial ground....but both options were definate no no's to Kiara. Seeing as I was hoping to calm her I happened to mention my dilema to my Hydrotherapist that day. We came to the conclusion that if I gave it to her, she could decide whether to keep it or to discard it herself. Christmas came. I took the mask down but had a few weeks off.

Yesterday I took the mask to my therapist. Strangely she took one look at it and was disgusted. "What an evil mask", she said and instantly threw it away. It made her feel so bad that she immediately went to wash her hands. Makes you wonder...the fact is that I felt relieved that it was out of my hands. Kiara also finally slept well at night. She didn't even know I had waited that long to get it out of the house. My therapist put on some music. Strangely the first song on was: Bird of Paradise. The mind boggles!



Saw you flying by
Flash of Turquoise Blue
I just had to try
To keep your life in view
My bird of paradise
Sweet bird of paradise

Wish that I could fly
I'd be beside you now
But I can only sigh
And watch you circle round
My bird of paradise
Sweet bird of paradise
My bird of paradise
Sweet bird of paradise

So you fly away
When will you come again
So I can watch you play
In the pouring rain

My bird of paradise
Sweet bird of paradise
My bird of paradise
Sweet bird of paradise

My bird of paradise
Snowy White

No comments: