03 August 2009

Wognum part I

Having practiced in Prague we were totally prepped for Wognum. After a good month of rehab I felt it was time to take a little break and enjoy life a bit. Jocelyn flew over from the US with Zara and joined me at my holiday spot in Wognum in the Northern tip of the province of Noord Holland. We stayed at the Saalhof vineyard which is the property of Siem and Ada Loos, who incidently are Paula's parents. Paula used to be Martin's partner and Kiara grew up visiting them like most kids would to seeing their grandparents. We stayed in the new Siberian (Datchas) log cabins that to my great suprise were beautifully equiped. I would say the comfort level was comparable to a very good 3 star hotel. Jocelyn, Zara and I settled in nicely, and Marcus came up for the Saturday. We made a day trip to Medemblik where one of the Ijsselmeer's Marina's is situated. A trip to the old windmill and the Afluitdijk were on our list. The latter being an interesting site for a Geography Major, which Jocelyn is.
Holland's pride was adourned with the most tattered flag I ever saw and I could feel my spirit bubbling up when I promised myself to send a remark to the organisation. That is so typically Dutch. People from all over the World come to see these sites and they can't be bothered to get the flag right!

After a 3 week holiday with her father, Kiara joined us on the Sunday. We picked her up at Angélique's where we had lunch before heading back to Wognum. Zara once again practiced her flirtatious look on Hugo, my brother in law. After lunch we went back to Wognum. Paula was there and so was a pile of birthday presents for Kiara who had turned 10 during her absence. What a commemorable age. I remember that 2 years ago, I was still wondering if I was going to make it to that day. Luckily I have lived to see it and I am doing my very best to witness the next 10 years too. Unfortunately Jocelyn already had to leave the next day. It was so wonderful to have her here. I suppose we have to start planning the next trip. It was a real shame that Helena wasn't able to come though. She was caught up in work. Next time, Helena!