15 August 2009

Amandla! Mandela

During the Millenium change, when
Kiara was only 6 months old, we went to Cape Town to celebrate. One of the things tourist must not miss is the trip to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held captive for 27 years. Fellow prisoners, now released, tell the history of this prison and its significance to South Africa and the World.


Two years ago when Jacqueline was playing in the Dutch version of the Lion King musical, Kiara, my mother and I went to see it in Scheveningen. Jacqueline arranged a tour backstage after the performance was finished. It lit a fire inside Kiara whom from that moment onward dreamed of becoming a musical star. It wasn't really our expectation that she would end up doing anything in this field as she was a great actor, but not such a good singer. Kiara's fascination brought us to a great deal of performances at top level. Each time she persuaded me to buy her the CD which she practiced on end in her bedroom.

Around Christmas last year Kiara started asking me how she could partake in a musical. I told her she would need to audition and that that was pretty hard seeing the competition. I started her in musical classes just so she could experience what it is all about, and I allowed her to try out for a famous Dutch musical called "Ciske de Rat". I had told her that auditioning is something you need a lot of practice at before actually managing to get selected. Kiara was singled out of the group and told that despite the fact that they did not have a role for her, she had auditioned really well and that she should try out for Amandla! Mandela, a new musical about Nelson Mandela. Kiara went to the auditions and we were told that she was in the first selection. Within 2 weeks they would know if she could participate. The 2 weeks came and went and I decided to call. Kiara was actually on hold as they were deliberating whether they were going to create an extra personnage. Kiara left for her holidays with her father and it was already July when I heard she had been selected for real! Last monday Kiara had her introduction day. The pictures will tell you the story. I am so very proud of her ambition, persistance, and hard work. She did this all despite everything that has been going on! I doubt that our trip had anything to do with all of this. But it's nice to think we might just have planted the seed. I feel blessed to witness these moments.









2 comments:

Birgit said...

Jemig...ben dur even een weekje tussenuit maar heb veel gemist. Zodra ik de Italiaanse vermoeidheid uit mijn benen heb (want net thuis) ga ik me helemaal inlezen en snel een afspraak met je maken! Dikke zoen, Bir

Anonymous said...

So proud... of both of you!

Aldith