19 August 2007

39 and still living

So today I am 39 minus 1 day. My family is coming over today to celebrate. I had promised myself to celebrate my birthday each year from now on. I am celebrating today because tomorrow I start rehab. I was tempted to stay in bed and sulk all day as I had a bad night's sleep, tossing and turning, thinking about a concept I had not had the chance to think about for a while. What to do with my life from now on. A ongoing subject is: who will I allow to be a part of my life and who should I keep at a distance. Very difficult indeed.





When I got up to shower, I thought about Nel. One of the first people who shared a room with me in the hospital. She had cancer of the bone-marrow with the same amount of cancer spread throughout the body as myself. She died last week monday. Frankly...two months ago, I was not sure if I was going to make it to my 39th birthday. Had I had another form of cancer, they would have given me less than half a year to go. I cried and let the shower wash away my tears before facing my entire family for the rest of the day.


Happy birthday to me! And many more years to come!

No comments: