24 April 2007

How I heard it


April 17, 2007.
My next appointment was at 12.15. I hurried back to the waiting room. Whilst taking out my snack I realized that I had made a mistake. I was one hour early.
I decided to eat my snack and stay there, but just as I was about to take a bite…the neurologist came out to call me. I guessed that I had not been mistaken after all…but in the process of getting to him there was no time to look at my watch.
As we entered his office I saw seriousness written on his face. I realized something was wrong.
“Mrs. Hunkar”, he said, “I’m afraid that the problem is entirely different".
I replied," It is? I already thought so".
"The situation is very serious".
"But I have a 7,5 year old daughter".
"Let me show you, this is L5 where you are having a problem. There is an object in that area which is a tumor, you really must be tested today".
"Can't I come back tomorrow?"
"No I can not let you leave".
"OK then...can I make some calls?"
"Yes you can. Come back afterwards and I will arrange a meeting with the oncologist".

6 comments:

dothoin said...

Oh Aisha what can I say that won't sound superficiial? I hope that all of this will be over for you soon and that you'll get back to full health. Love and Best Wishes as always. Pat

Anonymous said...

Lieve Aisha,

Wat kan het leven opeens hard zijn! Ik ben erg geschrokken van je bericht. Op dit moment maak ik van dichtbij mee wat jij doormaakt: mijn moeder is 3 weken geopeerd aan darmkamker en vorige week is er bij mijn vader een tumor in zijn alvleesklier ontdekt. De schrik van het slechte nieuws, dit moeten vertellen elke keer, het toeleven naar de onderzoeken en het afschuwelijke wachten op de uitslagen. De onzekerheid, het is killing!
Deze weblog is inderddaad verstandig, want mijn ouders worden eigenijk gek van alle goedbedoelde belangstelling.
Wens je alle kracht en sterkte toe!
Veel liefs,
Martine

Unknown said...

Dear, dear Aisha,

I do not know what to say... Please know that we are all thinking of you, in our hearts, and hoping that you will soon recover from this awful disease. Take care, and lots of love, Helena

Anonymous said...

Hoi Aisha,
Ik heb je verhaal gelezen en het is in grote lijnen ook mijn verhaal. Hetzelfde nare bericht; dezelfde reactie over je kind(eren); dezelfde onderzoeken; hetzelfde ziekenhuis. Ik leef zo ontzettend met je mee en denk heel vaak aan jou en Kiara. Wil je geloven dat ik, de twee dagen nadat je het mij verteld had, echt misselijk was. Jouw situatie maakt bijna dat ik het bij mijzelf vergeet. Ik wens jou en Kiara ongelooflijk veel kracht toe om dit te doorstaan. Ik hoop dat ik wat voor je kan betekenen. Ik zal d'r zijn als je dat wilt.
Tot ziens meid. Mieke

Anonymous said...

Hello Aisha:
I am a friend of Rachelle's - so sorry to hear about your terrible news! just wanted to let you know that i offer my prayer support for you and your daughter during this time, for strength, healing, hope and faith and that all things are possible with God. take care, Joan in Florida

Anonymous said...

Hi aisha,

Wat fijn dat je deze blog hebt!
Begrijp het nu beter.

x Paula