26 February 2010

The morning after

It is the morning after my operation. I am now the proud owner of a right-hand T2™ Proximal Humeral Nail, a fine addition to my Titanium collection (which for the record, I bequeath to my three sisters).

This is not my arm by the way!

This time things are going well despite a very long wait whilst checking in. It is really quiet in the department so I got my own room. Everyone still knew me so I didn't have to go through all the administrative procedures. Marcus brought me to the hospital and Mom joined us there just in time to wish me luck. Around 11.45 I was brought to the Operating area. They spent quite a while preparing the anesthesia and in the end I was not given a catheter. The same lady who did my pre-op was there to to the job. She actually thougth that that would be a pleasant suprise for Marc and I! Oh well, Dr. Lips had taken time off from his practice to come and look me up. He made sure that everything was OK for my operation so I was confident that they weren't making mistakes.

I think that the operation took about 2 hours. I can't remember being brought back to my room, but mom was there and my sister Angélique came by. The pain is bearable and I feel like I'm on top of the world again looking ahead at the plan which Lips and I had pre-meditated when he stopped by: Back to radiation and Iodine therapy soon, and we are going to try heat therapy on the larger tumors.

Cat naps...the rest of the night and I feel one coming up again. This morning I am sure to hear when I get to go home. Every day in the hospital is an infection risk...so I hope to leave soon.

By the way, I met Schönhuth after my operation. He told me the bone actually broke when they put the pin in. So lucky I was able to come so soon! He has done a nice job with only two small entry points. Genius!

Looking ahead again. Can't wait for my trip to Brazil!

PS: Hip Hip Hurray for WIFI in the Hospital!

2 comments:

Ledelay said...

So nice all went well! Hope you'll be out the hospital soon!!! {{{{}}}. @margreetledelay

Anonymous said...

Hi Aisha, if i understand your blog well everything went right in the end. So happy for you. I have been sending good thoughts to you all day long, just hoping that it would help in any way. But it is you who are the strong one, the fighter.
Hopefully you can take your trip to Brazil soon and that you can leave the hospital very soon.
By the sound of it you have a very good family surrounding you, which really takes huge piece of pie out of the battle.
Keep up the good fight, Sterrenkind.

P.S. Wifi in the hospital... brilliant! I can only imagine what that does to people while staying there. Good hospital for providing that.