31 May 2009

Ludicrous times

When you least expect it, the unimaginable will occur. The past week or two have been crazy. I got off on a good start when I got home from the hospital. However, the radiation planned shortly after my release was too good to be true. I also had several doctor's meetings which required travelling to and fro. Sitting upright during the trips was a rediculous requirement, but I had to get there so I did it anyway. After 4 days of dashing around Holland my nerve pain came back, disabling me to the extent that I ended up cancelling one of my radiotherapy sessions and had the doctor come over. I was sent back to the VU hospital and was readmitted for one night. I indicated that it was clearly a neuropathic problem (nerve pain). They ended up taking an x-ray and a CTscan on which you can not see the nerves. Beats-me why they did that. They kept assuring me that they were positive that the operation had gone well. I told them that myself when I came in to the first aid department. Without figuring out what WAS wrong they sent me home the next day by Ambulance. Fat lot of good that was!

As I still had 8 sessions of radiation therapy planned, Aldith called the general practitioner who arranged my transportation by ambulance. On my first day the bed collapsed on me leaving me with pain in the hip. I've had 2 doctors examine me but neither of them came up with the idea to have an x-ray made. The radiotherapists do not seem to agree with this situation. I will have to wait for my own doctor to come back. In the meantime I have been told not to walk on my left leg until wednesday next week. I am stuck back in my bed now. I have decided to get through my therapy sessions first, and to postpone my mobilisation to next week. Fabulous weather has kicked in which is making it hard to stay indoors. All in all, I have not been too happy this week.

1 comment:

Rebecca Clear Dean said...

This is just dreadful and I'm remembering how difficult it was to travel around all those cobblestones and steps and curbs and extra bike lanes.

Still thinking about you and wishing we could get a house call-type doctor with transportable equipment to your home so you don't have all the additional pain and stress of just going to the doctor.

Take it easy and hope you get some rest before the next round.

Many hugs and much love, Rebecca