11 June 2009

Incommunicado

Recuperation is energy consuming. The last couple of weeks have been really difficult with all the things going wrong. Thank you for all your kind messages. I hope to get back to all of you soon!
Last Friday I completed my radiation therapy. They finally took an x-ray of my hip joint which gave me the security to get back on my feet. Starting last Wednesday, I have started to walk again. After seeing Dr. de Boer in the Pain department, life became easier.
He blocked the trapped nerve so I cannot feel it and I have been given muscle relaxers to reduce the pain.
They should have done this when I was still in the hospital which would have avoided a whole lot of trouble. I am also practicing sitting upright. Yesterday I managed 5 hours which was a first. I will be starting rehab next week. The Dr. was reluctant to allowing met to start with a full-blown schedule, but I felt like I don't have time to waste. We agreed on 3x physical therapy per week to start with. It's a shame he did not plan the hydrotherapy which would have given me some relaxation time. The Trappenberg is only 10 minutes from here so I will be going into day care. I intend to be on a complete schedule within two weeks. I have plans for the summer and must be well by then. I went to see Dr. Lips yesterday. We have planned to start the alternative treatment (Sorafenib) in August. I am hoping this will work for me. There aren't too many options after that. In the meantime, I will continue my Iodine treatments.
Whatever the case, I am looking ahead again and seem to have jumped on the band wagon. Glad to be walking again.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Dear Aisha:

You've made such good progress in a short time, it's a relief to see you walking again. I know it must hurt and your energy is flagged, but seeing you flat on your back is much worse.

Your descriptions make me remember something about NL our family friend Uncle Piet from Leerdam and Amsterdam who shares the Queen's birthday (and hates it) told us:

You can do anything you want to do in NL, but there are several forms to fill out, detailed instructions and haggling with officials to get you to that exact spot, with the completed papers and forms of course, where you can do whatever it is you wanted to do.

By the time you get there through all of the red tape, you may have forgotten what it was you wanted to do in the first place!

I don't know if you like beer and herring but this is the weekend in Scheveningen harbor when they have their big summer festival, so I'll be thinking of you and drinking a toast to your continued health, strength and courage.

Alas the only herring here is pickled, but maybe we'll rustle up some spicy anchovies imported from Italy to snack on...boo hiss, but close enough!

Many hugs and much love,
Rebecca

Jocie Z ROCK said...

Dear Aisha, what a treat to see you on your feet! No doubt you are "supa woman"-- that is: mother of "solja gurl"! How you muster up your beautiful smile is always amazing to me! WE simply CAN NOT wait to see you!!! I can't belive they didnt block that trapped nerve earlier! brutal stories woman! BUT you DO look great.. very sporty in that trak suit too- Sporty spice!! wink wink, love jocelyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Aisha,

Zo af en toe lees ik je blog en je zit wel in een achtbaan zeg. Van de ene behandeling naar de andere en elke keer weet je weer op krahten te komen. Je bent echt een sterke vrouw. Respect!

Hopelijk snel weer een ' Advisie-reunie'.

Groet, Maaike

Jocelyn Zarr '86 said...

Ai, very thankful to read your progression update above..i can certainly imagine your mother is invaluable.. thank goodness for her and your family. i was very pleased to hear you are getting up and OUT again for a bit...I CANT BELIEVE WE WILL SEE YOU SOON! THIS MONTH woman!