13 May 2009

How time flies


Today I have been home for a week. I seem to have missed the beginnings of spring. Adrienne captured this blossom on cam for me in my garden. It has been quite difficult, especially getting here. I was transported in an ambulance from the hospital because I could not possibly sit upright for an hour in Amsterdam's traffic. The ambulance was supposed to arrive late in the afternoon because the hospital bed at home still needed to be delivered. Thanks to my Nazi camp doctor, nothing had been arranged and Adrienne had to move my general Practitioner to get things in order. Funny how protocol always works to their benefit and never to mine. Once I arrived at home I was stationed on my not so comfortable sofa for 2 odd hours. The bed finally arrived and it was unstable and the mattress was not suitable for my back. It costed me an additional 57 Euro's to get the mattress changed. By Saturday the bed was swapped too. You can imagine that after 5 distressful hours out of bed I was knackered. I ended up walking up the stairs despite my handicap and sleeping in my own bed. I have kept that up in the night time since then and repose on the hospital bed in the day time. Adrienne an my mother were here to help me and Kiara out. Adrienne did a wonderful job taking care of Kiara while I was away. She also got a lot of jobs done around the house with the help of Henk Suik which was a wonderful way to welcome me back home. I was back in the safety zone with one on one care. Pfew! Immediately the next day I started to mobilize. By day 3 I was able to walk around the block across the road. If I keep progressing like this the Trappenberg is going to wonder what they need to do for me by the time I get there.

Today I heard that my radiation therapy starts next week. I have no idea how I am going to manage this. First, I have a meeting with Dr. Van Triest and Dr. Lips on Friday. I have decided to take it from there. I am looking at 10 set of 2,5 Becquerel on my tail bone. It's all or nothing.

I am tired of treatment after treatment. I don't really have a choice though. The good thing is that I actually feel like I am beating the odds. Dr. Lips just told me that the cancer has been stable for over a year now.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Oh Aisha, don't they let you recover fully from surgery before they start more knockout treatments? The news that the cancer has stabilized is really good though.

You are amazing to be getting your sunshine--I know it's grey, rainy, windy Holland so you have to get what Vitamin D you can when the sun is out this time of year!--and walking around the neighborhood, if you can keep that up once or twice a week, it will keep you beating the odds.

I know you don't like to hear how good you look, but you do, I don't see a skull in your face at all, I see your face!

We've lost a few people to cancer over the years and your spirit is very strong. We're all pulling for you, so keep resting, relaxing, getting a walk when you feel up to it and loving your family.

We're all here for you and so glad we found those pictures to show you and Kiara and your fiance.

Much love and many hugs, so glad to read your updates again, Rebecca, Ken and Jinx (and the folks) and happy belated Mother's day!