28 December 2008

Back to the OR


A year ago Marcus and I promised each other that we would be spending the next Christmas together. And that is precisely what we did. Christmas was spent in 4 households. Mine, Marcus', his mother's home and my parents. It was the first time that the kids spent a whole week together. Unlike in other similar cases things went over really smoothly. Last Friday Kiara and I went to Almere where the kids went skating on Saturday while I finished my Christmas shopping. The tree that we had at Marcus' house was donated to Kiara. Decorated and all it was dropped of by an anonymous organisation. What I know is that the organisation was donating 'dream trees' to children with cancer. They had some trees left over and one of the mothers at Kiara's school had tipped them that Kiara deserved one too.
We transported the tree to Marcus' house which saved us having to decorate a second tree. On Christmas eve we had dinner and went to church in Amsterdam afterwards. When we got home we opened our presents. It was late, the kids went to bed without being prompted. The next morning we had brunch together. By the time we were done I was so tired that I went to sleep for a few hours. We spent Christmas evening and Marcus's mother's home and had a lovely dinner. On the second day of Christmas we celebrated at my parents home. We had a wonderful time. During the course of this week, however, there is one thing that kept going through my mind.










My next surgery. It is scarier each time. I will be staying at the VU hospital for the operation. A pin is being inserted in my left arm (Humerus). This operation will be much like the operation on my leg. The doctor (Dr. De Gast) expects me to leave the hospital in 2 days time. I am expecting a stay of 5 days approximately. My condition is different from that of other people undergoing such an operation. Anyway my phone number will be posted here. You can always try to phone my cellphone. Before my operation I have a radio therapy session of my pelvic bone. I am hoping that I am not the first to be operated on on Tuesday. That way I will be able to sleep in my own bed tomorrow. I will probably be in the hospital on New Year's eve so I wish you all the best of years and will write again when I leave the hospital. Visiting hours at the VU hospital are from 11.00- 13.00 and from 16.00 -19.30.

No comments: