10 April 2008

A capital case

In one week's (April 17) time I will have survived cancer for 1 year. Time does fly. Do I subtract that year from my prognosis? I think not! As long as I keep feeling OK I have not started counting down yet. A full year does call for an evaluation, such as the bodyscan that was made last month and my request to be given a prognosis. I have therefore taken the time to take a good and detailed look at the scans made since december. In this picture of my head, for instance, you can see the tumor on my head. The bump being fluid which they think has accumulated there because of the irritation in the bone. What a precarious place to have a tumor! Our fear has been the possible infiltration of cancer cells throughout my brain. When I say 'our' I mean friends and family. Instead,the doctors are only worried about the pressure on my brain in a rather 'lucky' area, as too much pressure in that area would give me balancing problems rather than other complications. As a matter of fact, when I was in the hospital, this WAS actually a problem which seems to have diminished. We have been watching this area but it seems to be stable.
The last 2 weeks I have a feeling that the treatment is getting to it. The bump has decreased and I am sure that new bone tissue is developping in the area. How do I know this? After the 2nd treatment when I scratched my head near the tumor, I could hear a hollow sound. When I scratched elsewhere on my head the sound was different. The area producing a hollow sound is now much smaller! I have deduced that the porousity of this area must be deminishing, thanks to bloody Bonviva and Calcichew D.
The bonescan has given much clarity about the effected areas. WIFIWIG (What I feel is what I get)! Good old intuition! Speaking of intuition...apart from the bump on my head, it seems like I am still improving in other areas. I have gained just a little confidence.
Two weeks ago I finally joined a discussion group. It was horrible because I don't seem to have any real peers. All the other patients had the cancer found in either a preliminary stage (near the thyroid) or with one metastase. I have stopped counting at 10. There is actually no-one going through the same thing. I suppose Gerritsen knew what he was talking about when he said they had never had a case like me before. To think that the last few years I thought I was feable! How silly of me!




They can't keep a good man down
Always keep a smile when they want me to frown
Keep the vibes and they stood my grounds
They will never ever crown
Who Jah bless I say no man curse
Things gettin' better when they thought it would be worse
Here comes the officers askin' for a search, they found no weapon just a only draw
Cause I'm so solid as a rock they just can't stop me now
Even when they set up there traps they just can't stop me now
People will say this and that they just can't stop me now
Even when they set up road blocks they just can't stop me now

No comments: