19 August 2010

Progressing slowly

Since the last post have been working very hard. I went from standing for the first time, to walking 50 metres. Swimming is also going well. I swim, 250 m in half an hour. Last week. I had a couple of sessions, radiation therapy. Somehow, I can't seem to get away from the hospital. Lately, I try to organise my trips to the hospital in such a way that there is always someone to accompany me.

I have become so familiar with the routine that little tricks like putting my stuff in a zip lock bag so that I don't have two worry about carrying a lot of different things, while I am being transported by ambulance. The transportation is very strenuous. Theadiation therapy was to my head and to my rib. When you arrive at the hospital. They position your body on a hard surface and by means of a CT scan, they localise the area that needs to be radiated. This is a very difficult process as precision is of extreme importance. They also use a mask to fixate your head seeing as moving a few millimetres could cause damage to healthy tissue. The mask looks pretty creepy, though it is of great importance to use it. The team at the VU hospital quite as disciplined as in the AVL hospital. They ended up positioning me four times and by the fourth time the machine crashed. This resulted me in having to lie down on a hard surface for an hour and a half last Friday. I am grateful know that Doctor Dahele is always present during my therapy. This is a criterium to be able to go forward with the therapy as far as I am concerned.
More trips to the hospital have been taking place. Yesterday I visited the neurologist and the oncological surgeon for further treatment. They have decided to go through with RFA to the Sacrum. It took a whole day to see the doctors yesterday, from 10 o'clock in the morning until six o'clock at night, when the ambulance finally came. Because I travel lying down, I am often placed in areas where
the bed won't get in the way. Yesterday, they parked me in the room where the casts are moulded. Because I have to wait for the ambulance for hours, they admitted me to a one day patient department. The joke is that my view was looking out on to my last room in the hospital. Not really inspiring.

Kiara has been back from holidays with her father for almost 3 weeks now. She spent the last 2 weeks, doing all sorts of fun stuff. For instance, she went to Friesland with Aldith to see Jet. We know Jet from twitter. Kiara was able to camp their and they made boat a trip, a typical Dutch activity. Jet taught Kiara how to navigate and read maps.















Kiara's cousins also took her to the Efteling (a Dutch prizewinning theme park). As I gather, they had heaps of fun. In the meantime, life goes on, and I keep on working really hard. I keep practicing walking, swimming, and sitting.

Until I move more, daily in
jections are necessary to prevent Tromboses.

No comments: