25 August 2008

Mixed feelings

Last week was a roller-coaster ride. I was up and down on the emotional ladder. It was a week filled with a lot of bad news, on the other hand it was also a week of celebration. I turned 40, a target I couldn't even dream of last year. But I also had radiation therapy on monday, and heard from the orthopedic surgeon that the tumor in my arm is so big that he couldn't even do a joint replacement as there would be nothing to attach it to. Hospital calls are starting to frighten me and as time moves along it is becoming harder and harder to drag myself into the physician's office. On the lighter side of life, I have plunged into an ACST revival mode. ACST was my school in
Tunis, Tunisia and apparently there is going to be a reunion next year. It has been really exciting getting in touch with old, dear friends. It is delightful to see what life has brought everybody. It has become a new incentive for me to keep fighting, I have to be healthy enough to travel next year. Thank you everyone for latching on, I never forgot all of you throughout the years. How precious can one's youth be. Being able to look back in glee is a treasure in itself.


Then there was my birthday! I had not planned anything yet as I intend to hold a Feest for Life party somewhere in November. Mom and Ineke managed to convince me that I could not let my birthday pass without celebrating now. I ended up meeting up with my Hilversum friends in town for some coffee, tea and snacks. That evening a small portion of the family went to have a chinese wok dinner. Thank you for the endless amount of phone-calls e-mails and tekst messages! It took me over 2 hours to respond to all of them and I am not finished yet!

This week, Tuesday, I will have my meeting with Dr. Lips to talk about my further treatment. I will keep you posted.

No comments: