13 January 2009

Frozen shoulder





Well, time flies. It has almost been 2 weeks since I went to the hospital for my surgery. It all seems to have gone well, but at the moment I am unable to lift both of my arms.


The lift arm needs physical therapy, I believe that the disruption of my arm has lead me to loose muscle tonus. I believe that with the right exercise it will be up to notch again in a few weeks time. The right shoulder endured a lot of extra use. The joint was already damaged but now the ligaments are giving up on me. Rest and the right exercises should be the key to improving the right shoulder. I went to the painlab since my operation and the anesthesiologist has given me some medication for the nerve pain in my right shoulder.
The Amintryptaline, as is is called is in actual fact an anti depressant which seems to work agains pain caused by nerves. The use of it has left me very tired. It just really drags you down. They say it should get better after a while. I am giving it a shot now. I also had a meeting at the Trappenberg (the rehab center). They are willing to take me on for a period of approximately 6 weeks. I will be starting in a few weeks time.


It has been strange the last couple of days. I has been freezing cold here in Holland and usually I would have gone skating. Here's some pics of the beautiful frozen scenery. I am most greatful that Kiara's father has taken her skating on natural ice. A phenomina that does not occur too often anymore. I don't drive at the moment. Not only is it slippery outside but the function in my arms is inadequate. I am hoping this won't last too long, as it is the ablility to drive that gives me my independance. So...even before rehab I have started to exercise my arms. A little bit each day should have some effect. I am pretty much staying at home these days. My mother is here to help me out and when she isn't Marcus helps me out. Just doing things around the house is all I can handle, really. I am tired mostly so I do catch my sleep. In a few weeks time I expect I will be out there again living my close to normal life. It is getting harder each day to ignore the consequences of living with cancer.

No comments: