30 July 2007

Bird takes to the Sky




Bird did indeed fly. On July 2, 2007. Bird had been in terrible pain the whole weekend. The pain always hits you in the weekend. On Monday morning she had an appointment in the hospital for a scan of her head. She wanted to make sure her brain was in order, and Professor Dr. Lips had been drawn into her court and was participating. In the morning she phoned him to check the back scans made during the weekend and they made a semi-appointment. Bird was to call after her scan.

On arrival at the hospital Bird and Mom decided to try the non-ergonomical wheelchair. As Bird tried to sit in it, the wheelchair tipped and Bird was finally airborne for the first time. Flustered by this incident she landed and swiftly walked to the second floor where the scan was to be made. As Mom pulled at her hair in fear. Marcus ran after Bird like a super hero. We made it to the second floor and I asked for a bed. After the scan we walked to Lips’ room. He had me admitted to the hospital immediately. My vertebrae had collapsed even more and the chances of becoming paralysed were much greater.

It is now 4 weeks later. I am learning to walk now. 20 steps behind a rollator and showering in a chair is my current status. Watch this space for more info about my new residence: the VU hospital. There is so much to tell and I hope to leave here soon.